Herbed Potato Salad

I don’t like most potato salads because they are richly drenched in mayonnaise, and I grew up with an innate distaste for mayonnaise unless it was disguised by some other flavour. I’m still not crazy about it, which is why I’ve never made potato salad myself.

(I feel like I spend a lot of time on this blog highlighting the things I dislike, or used to dislike, but remember I was once a very picky eater! So please forgive me.)

This potato salad I liked. No – loved. This is definitely going to be my standard salad recipe to bring to barbecues.

The vegetable stock, olive oil, Dijon and vinegar made a light, flavourful base for this mayonnaise-free salad – but the real noticeable element here was the dill I bought from the farmers market.

I’m usually too lazy to use fresh herbs, because I can never finish them up before they spoil and I certainly can’t grow my own (I’ve tried and they always die).

In this recipe, though, the fresh dill completely wowed me. It was so aromatic and really added a lot of oomph to the dish. I made this for a potluck at work last week and it was so well received I prepared it again over the weekend, with the addition of green beans.

You can play around here if you want by adding more spring onion, garlic, lemon juice or herbs, depending on your taste. The original recipe also included fresh parsley, if that’s your thing (I didn’t add it because it’s not my fave).

Herbed Potato Salad
From Kayotic Kitchen

1 ½ pound potatoes
2 tbsp vegetable broth
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ tsp Dijon mustard
3 tbsp olive oil
2 spring onions
1 large garlic clove, crushed
Splash of lemon juice
fresh dill (I used about 2 tbsp)
pepper
salt

Peel, wash and cut the potatoes into bite-size pieces. Boil them in lightly salted water until fork tender, this should take 8 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them; you don’t want to over-cook them.

Combine the olive oil with the white wine vinegar. Add in the vegetable broth, Dijon mustard, a splash of lemon juice and the garlic and whisk well. The vinaigrette will become thicker.

Finely chop the spring onions and the dill, then add to the dressing along with a pinch of salt and pepper.

Drain the potatoes, let them dry for a few minutes and then add them to the dressing while they’re still hot, that way they’ll take on the flavours even more. Let the potato salad cool before serving.

, ,

11 Responses to Herbed Potato Salad

1. Julie August 3, 2010 at 7:07 pm #

Sondi,

Thanks again for bringing this to work. It was a real treat with the oh-so-fresh potatoes and dill from the market. It was so good I made it for a family dinner this weekend and it was a hit.

Julie

• sondibruner August 3, 2010 at 8:59 pm #

Cool! I’m glad your family liked it.

2. ovenhaven August 4, 2010 at 12:20 am #

Thanks for sharing this! I don’t eat mayonnaise, and almost every potato salad I know is drenched in it, so this is a dream come true for me 😛

3. kathy August 5, 2010 at 7:47 am #

Looks sooo good. I hope you will submit this to http://www.FindingVegan.com

~Kathy

• sondibruner August 5, 2010 at 8:11 am #

Thanks for the recommendation – I’ve never heard of that site! Will submit this for sure.

4. Carla August 5, 2010 at 8:55 am #

Oh, potatoes…COME TO ME!

5. Brenda Jones August 13, 2010 at 11:53 am #

I’m going to make this this weekend, but I think I’m going to try roasting the potatoes instead of boiling them. What did you use for vegetable broth?

• sondibruner August 13, 2010 at 1:57 pm #

I used a vegetable bouillon powder. Let me know how it works out with roasted potatoes!

6. Brenda Jones August 14, 2010 at 11:42 am #

I picked up a carton of Knorr veggie stock — and I’ll search for a recipe for using up the rest (that’s always fun!).

I’m going to add some cilantro and I have some pine nuts in the cupboard. What do you think? Toasted pine nuts in here? I am tempted to add some shredded carrot for garnish, as well. Hmmm.

This is my dinner tonight – corn on the cob and potato salad. Yum!

• sondibruner August 14, 2010 at 1:26 pm #

Veggie stock is easy to use up – you can put it in soups, rice, sauces, etc. I hate cilantro, so I wouldn’t add it to anything! But play around with it – pine nuts would probably work, as would the carrot.

1. 4 Day Detox and Healthy Diet Kickstart Meal Plan « Land Animal - October 1, 2010

[…] Breakfast = Green Smoothie Lunch = Leftovers from Lunches and/or Dinners on Day 1 and Day 2 + Herbed Potato Salad […]