Homemade Ketchup

Sometimes I gaze at something I’ve just made and think, ‘How did I get here?’

I never imagined that I’d be the kind of girl who prepared her own bread, granola or condiments from scratch. Yet here I am. And I can’t imagine living any other way.

When I was eighteen and newly diagnosed with Crohn’s disease, my aunt gave me a book called Breaking the Vicious Cycle, which details how to manage intestinal disease through diet. The book included, amongst other things, instructions for how to ferment your own yoghurt. I thought the whole thing was nuts.

While I’ve never fermented my own yoghurt, over the years I have transitioned from a primarily store-bought, processed-food diet to a lifestyle of home-cooked foods.

Once I realized the medical system couldn’t ‘fix’ me – at least not entirely – I understood that I needed to take responsibility for my own wellbeing and prioritize a healthy diet and exercise. It’s taken a long time for me to get here. But I’m thankful that I am.

Ok, enough introspection and let’s get back to the ketchup! This recipe was sweet and thick, with a hint of tang from the vinegar. To me, it tasted like what you’d get at the grocery store, except fresher.

It’s really easy to play around with this recipe too – next time, I’ll try adding chipotle chili powder to give it a spicy kick.

Homemade Ketchup
From Sarah’s Cucina Bella

1 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
¼ cup  cider vinegar
½ cup  dark brown sugar
½tsp dry mustard
½ tsp kosher salt (or more, to taste)
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp allspice
¼ tsp smoked paprika

In a saucepan, whisk together all the ingredients over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking occasionally, and cook for 10-15 minutes, until thickened to desired consistency. Be sure to use a splash guard to prevent splatter and also remove the pan from the heat to stir.

Let cool before serving. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.

, ,

12 Responses to Homemade Ketchup

1. Sarah Caron October 6, 2010 at 5:53 am #

So glad you liked the recipe! I love the idea of adding chipotle powder.

• sondibruner October 6, 2010 at 8:22 am #

Thanks for sharing this recipe!

2. amber October 6, 2010 at 9:42 pm #

I have a recipe for ketchup that I’ve been meaning to try for ages – I think it has a few extra veggies in there too…but I refuse to give my boy ketchup for dipping…perhaps now I’ll be inspired enough to make it!!
    Thanks Sondi!
    amber :)

• sondibruner October 6, 2010 at 10:10 pm #

It’s super easy to make – do it! Yes, it’s got sugar, but you could lessen the amount, and with extra veggies in there it wouldn’t be so bad.

3. Lizzy October 11, 2010 at 3:30 pm #

I didn’t know you could make good ketchup with canned tomatoes! I was just talking about having a large vegetable garden one day and making fresh ketchup with my brother just yesterday. I completely understand what you said about Crohn’s making you more aware of what you eat. I feel the same about having gastroparesis. It pushes me to cook fresh and healthy food.

• sondibruner October 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm #

The crushed tomatoes that I used worked just fine! Way easier than having to chop and crush them all myself. I would love to have a garden too – we moved recently into a place with a backyard so hopefully next spring I’ll be able to do some planting. Of easy things to grow, that is.

4. Amber January 4, 2011 at 2:08 pm #

Here’s the other recipe I was talking about it…for some reason I thought it had some pureed carrots in it (which I may actually try) and other veggies, but it looks like its just garlic and onions.

I think I may try some sort of combo of the two recipes…that’s my plan for this evening!! I’ll let you know how it goes.
    amber :)

• Sondi Bruner January 4, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

I like that the recipe in your link has a little less sugar, too.

5. Martha March 31, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

my sister used to make her own ketchup and used fresh from the garden tomatoes–her spices were in oil form and it was amazing but as she has gotten olde and her children are gown she no longer does it but oh my it was delicious.

6. annie August 12, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Hi, how long this ketchup can keep on the fridge ?

• Sondi August 12, 2014 at 5:34 pm #

It should keep for about a week.

1. Eating Styles: Homemade Ketchup Edition! | So Good - November 5, 2012