Homemade Peanut Butter

Dear Homemade Peanut Butter,

Thanks for being so easy to make at home. I really never knew. Even with my inexpensive food processor, whipping up a batch of you was incredibly easy. Now I never have to buy you at the grocery store again!

You’re awesome, addictive, smooth and creamy.

I love you.

Forever yours,

Sondi

Visit Edible Perspective for the full recipe.

After one minute

After five minutes

After ten minutes

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Homemade Peanut Butter

1. Brenda December 26, 2010 at 2:20 pm #

Hey Sondi,

Your jar of peanut butter looks fantastic!!! I bet it’s yummy too. What’s next? Thai peanut sauce? That’s a suggestion actually, since I could use a good recipe for it.

Keep the recipes coming!
    Brenda

2. Zenobia December 29, 2010 at 1:34 am #

Do you not pre-soak the peanuts overnight to make them softer to grind? I’d imagine that would make my life a lot easier…

• Sondi Bruner December 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm #

No, I didn’t pre-soak the nuts. I think that would make them too mushy and it would turn out more like peanut dip, rather than traditional peanut butter. But give it a try and let me know if it works out for you!

3. sarah January 3, 2011 at 8:42 am #

hi there,
    this look amazing and so easy..
    just a few questions, did you sterilise the jar?? and also what would be the keeping instructions,( like use by date , fridge, pantry etc? dont know how different it would be to shop brought??
    any help would be great to know what your doing
    thanks again for a great post
    have a great new year
    sarah

• Sondi Bruner January 3, 2011 at 9:14 am #

Hi Sarah – no, I didn’t sterilize the jar. I didn’t can the peanut butter to preserve it, I simply put it in a clean, small jar. I keep my peanut butter in my pantry, though I know it’s supposed to be better to put nuts and nut butters in the fridge. We love peanut butter in this house – we finished it in about a week, maybe a week and a half. So it definitely didn’t have time to go rancid! If you’re concerned about preservation, then keep it in the fridge, where it will last a month or two for sure, if you don’t finish it first! I hope this answers your questions – let me know if you have any more of them!

4. Michelle August 28, 2011 at 9:23 am #

I’ve tried homemade pb and it’s never turned out this smooth- didn’t realize I should have processed it for 10-15 minutes- thanks- now I’m excited to give it another try! Just tried homemade sunflower butter and had the same problem- going to try that one again too.

• Sondi Bruner August 28, 2011 at 9:55 am #

Yes, nut butters definitely take some patience.

5. Katy October 11, 2011 at 8:53 am #

Hello! It sounds delicious! My food procesor has 600W, is it good for this peanut butter?

6. Stephanie August 20, 2012 at 2:30 pm #

Hi Sondi,
    My family and I have recently changed our diet to a whole, all natural foods diet. We love peanut butter in our house, but when I look on the ingredients list on the back of a Jif peanut butter jar, I cringe! Peanut Butter should be made out of peanuts and salt, not 7 different ingredients. I was thrilled to try your recipe, and just finished with my last batch! DELICIOUS!! Tastes just like the store bought kind, but I know what I’m feeding my family now. It’s also one of the only recipes I’ve found that doesn’t call for extra sugar or oil. Thanks so much!

• Sondi Bruner August 21, 2012 at 9:36 am #

That’s awesome! I’m so glad that you loved this recipe. You can make any kind of nut butter now – I love making it with almonds, cashews or sunflower seeds too.

7. abidazz83 September 27, 2012 at 4:21 am #

Thank you so much for this recipie I was trying to find one with simple pictures of the stages of consistency and you did just that. Thanks I can’t wait to try it, I hate all the added ingredients in food and rather make as much homemade stuff as possible, just a quick question, do you HAVE to use peanuts or can you use other type of nuts or don’t they taste as good? I know it’s “peanut” butter but am just curious?! Thanks, oh sorry another quick question, I see a lot of recipie’s saying cook them first? Did you not cook yours?

• Sondi Bruner September 27, 2012 at 9:09 am #

You can use any nut or seed with this and it tastes just as good – cashews, pecans, almonds, sunflower seeds, etc. I like to use raw nuts for my nut butters, but you could toast them lightly in a pan or in the oven if you wanted.

8. Adam August 20, 2013 at 10:29 am #

I just purchased a small commercial nut grinder ( the same you see in stores), and Mex tied to get started. I’m researching the best methods for sterilizing the jars, because it’s my understanding that this step is necessary in order to maximize shelf life.