Raw Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles

I know what you’re thinking: after one week of nutrition school, this girl wants us to eat raw cabbage and kelp noodles – yuck!

Stay with me. It’s worth it.

I don’t like salads and eat most of my vegetables cooked. However, in the last few months I’ve been reading about several foodies and bloggers who have greatly improved their digestive disorders or other health issues by going raw (or mostly raw).

Raw food is my final frontier. It’s one of the few diets I haven’t tried to improve my Crohn’s disease. Despite my decent eating habits, I haven’t been feeling great lately. So after my brain was flooded with nutritional information at school last week, I was inspired and felt downright compelled to try it.

I’ve always associated cooked vegetables with a loss of nutrients, which is why I try to steam or lightly cook my veggies as much as possible. I was okay with trading fewer nutrients for a more enjoyable meal.

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that most cooking methods destroy the digestive enzymes in food, making it more work our bodies to produce those enzymes on their own. And when you’ve got a defective digestive system (like me), you need all the help you can get.

This recipe was easy to prepare, light, fresh and had a strong, tangy flavour. Next time, I’d either add more nut butter or reduce the amount of liquid to create a creamier sauce.

But did it taste good?

Yes, it did. And remember, I hate salads.

Kelp noodles are high in minerals and very low in calories (only six of them per four-ounce serving), so load your plate! They have a crunchy consistency, which works well with the salad, but you could try steaming them if you want a softer noodle.

What’s your favourite raw food recipe?

From Ani’s Raw Food Essentials – visit here for the recipe.

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Raw Pad Thai with Kelp Noodles

1. Marina January 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

Interesting recipe! I’m inspired to try it as I don’t really like salads either. One question – do the kelp noodles have a strong fishy taste?

• Sondi Bruner January 18, 2011 at 11:01 pm #

No, they don’t taste like fish at all. Kelp noodles taste neutral, practically like nothing at all. They’re like tofu and pick up whatever flavours you add to them.

2. Julie January 19, 2011 at 8:49 am #

Sondi,
    What an awesome recipe. Where do you buy kelp noodles? J.

• Sondi Bruner January 19, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

I bought mine at Whole Foods and you can also find them at Organic Lives. I wouldn’t be surprised if they were at Fujiya, Famous Foods or T & T as well, though I haven’t looked for them there. You can also buy them online.

3. Sarah January 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm #

Do you think I could substitute shirataki noodles for kelp noodles?

• Sondi Bruner January 23, 2011 at 6:38 pm #

Sarah, I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t, though for the record I have never tried shirataki noodles before. You could really sub any noodles in here – soba, rice, etc – I used the kelp ones to help me keep the whole dish raw.

4. Sarah @ Flavoropolis January 24, 2011 at 3:39 am #

Thanks for this – I came across your blog last night and was actually inspired to make this (with slight variations based on what I had on hand) this morning. I’d had some leftover kelp noodles and was sick of using them in the same couple of dishes. This was a delicious new way to eat them!

• Sondi Bruner January 24, 2011 at 8:32 am #

Cool! I’m glad you could make use of this recipe so soon. :)

5. Rachelle April 25, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Hey Sondi,
    I wanted to find Jenna’s Pad Thai recipe and the first thing that came up in google was your blog!!! I had no idea. Great site! Keep up the great work!

• Sondi Bruner April 25, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Oh cool! Glad that I’m coming up in search results. I think Jenna’s pad thai was better than mine – she used a few extra ingredients, though I don’t remember what they were!

6. vanitylicenseplate June 15, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Light? I don’t think so, there is almost 900 calories from the peanut butter and oil