Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars

Since I generally cook guided by the school of Lazy, I don’t use lemon zest very often. It’s not super difficult to zest a lemon, it’s just easier on most occasions to add some extra lemon juice. See? Lazy.

Though I really need to use lemon zest more often. It really brightened up this recipe and packed a fantastic lemon-y punch. To me, these bars tasted like lemon meringue pie (in flavour, not in consistency).

These were very simple to throw together and make a great on-the-go snack. Mine turned out a little on the wet side – perhaps I overprocessed the nuts or accidentally added too much juice – but they were still extremely delicious.

If you’re worried about the hemp seeds, you can’t even taste them. They just silently bring omega 3 and 6 fatty acids (essential fats for our bodies) and a protein boost.

Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, grain-free, refined sugar-free
Recipe type: Snack
  • 1 cup cashews
  • 1 cup pitted dates
  • ⅓ cup hemp seeds
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp lemon zest
  1. Place the cashews in a food processor and process until ground. Add the dates and hemp seeds and pulse repeatedly. Then, add the lemon juice and lemon zest and leave the motor on until the whole thing has formed a big, uniform, sticky ball.
  2. Take a large sheet of saran wrap and place it over the bottom of a small baking dish. Press the mixture down into it, until it’s even in thickness.
  3. Cover with another sheet of saran and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
  4. Unwrap the dough, lay the rectangle flat on a cutting surface and cut into bars. Store in the fridge or freezer.

10 Responses to Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars

1. Vonnie March 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

Yummmm – they look good! And personally, I like wet vs. dry. This recipe deserves to be printed out.

Thanks!

2. Veronica March 28, 2011 at 3:55 pm #

Wow, this sounds incredible! I don’t know if you follow Chocolate Covered Katie (she is vegan and also features many gluten-free recipes), but these would be a great addition to her bake sale! Here’s the details if you are interested: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/28/an-important-announcement/

• Sondi Bruner March 28, 2011 at 4:38 pm #

No, I hadn’t heard of that blog before – thanks for sending along the link!

3. indialeigh March 28, 2011 at 8:49 pm #

Ooh, these sound really good, I’ve not used hemp seeds in a bar before…genius! Lemony hemp bars are now on my GROWING list of things to create in my kitchen. Would you mind if I shared this post on my blog..under your name of course.?

• Sondi Bruner March 28, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

Sure thing. You can also check out Choosing Raw, where this recipe originally came from.

4. sarah, simply cooked April 2, 2011 at 12:11 am #

This caught my eye on Health Freak Food. I wanted to let you know that they must set your page in a frame, since their URL, not yours, is not the one that is showing. I’m going to mention this to them and express my displeasure. I think it’s a great site (I’ve just discovered it) but they should direct traffic to you fully. (Perhaps you might want to email them?)

• Sondi Bruner April 2, 2011 at 9:20 am #

Thanks for letting me know! I checked out the site again and they seem to be aware of it – they posted about this on the home page and they are working on it.

5. tastyeatsathome April 11, 2011 at 12:33 am #

I just bought hemp seeds for the first time the other day. These sound so tasty. Should try them!

1. Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars « The Copycat Cook | The Hemp Network News - March 29, 2011

[...] to zest a lemon, it’s just easier on most occasions to add some …See the original post: Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars « The Copycat Cook var a2a_config=a2a_config||{};a2a_config.linkname="Lemon Cashew Hemp Bars « The Copycat [...]