Homemade Almond Milk

If I had known nut milks were so easy, I would have started making them on my own a long time ago.

Here’s what you do: Soak nuts. Blend nuts with water. Strain.

That’s it.

Then you’ve got thick, creamy milk with no added preservatives, flavours or colourings. And it’s better for the environment, too, since there’s no box to throw in the recycling bin.

Once you strain the milk, some almond pulp remains. I’m not sure what to do with it – use it in bread? Cookies? Crackers? What has worked for you?

Homemade Almond Milk

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Beverage
  • 1 cup almonds, soaked for 8 hours or more
  • 4 cups of water
  • Sweetener to taste (maple syrup, agave, dates), optional
  1. Soak the almonds in water overnight, then rinse them in a colander.
  2. Place almonds in a blender, along with 4 cups of fresh water. Blend for a few minutes, until you can't see any more chunks of almond.
  3. Place a cheesecloth on top of a strainer or colander, with a bowl underneath to catch the almond milk. Strain, then squeeze the cheesecloth to release every last bit of milk. Reserve the pulp, if desired.
  4. Refrigerate before serving.

, , , , , , ,

31 Responses to Homemade Almond Milk

1. Laurel April 10, 2011 at 11:07 am #

Toss it in your morning smoothie if you make one. Or bake with it or leave the pulp in and pour over cereal. If I’m making yogurt I always just leave it in. I also leave it in when making gravy but if you’re using it for your coffee that’s probably not such a good idea. And lady you did but speak the truth about making your own almond milk. I wanted to kick myself when I started. Duh, Laurel.

• Sondi Bruner April 10, 2011 at 11:43 am #

Thanks for the suggestions! I strained mine thoroughly, as I didn’t like the idea of bits in my milk, so I had quite a lot of pulp leftover. I really like the idea of adding it to a smoothie.

2. Christina April 10, 2011 at 12:21 pm #

I love homemade nut milk. I bought a carton of almond milk from the grocery store the other day after exclusively drinking my own for a while. The store-bought milk was, in a word, blech.

For the pulp, I’ve been tossing it on a cookie sheet and baking it in the oven for two-ish hours at 350*. Then the dried pulp goes in a ziplock bag and we get a few spoonfulls out for topping on cereal, ice cream, oatmeal, pudding, whatever. It would probably be a nice addition to things like caseroles or bakes where you would normally just use bread/cracker crumbs, but I’ve yet to try that one.

I’m glad I found your blog though! Always nice to find another gluten-free, dairy-free, vegetarian blogger.

• Sondi Bruner April 10, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

Oh, that’s a really interesting idea to dry it out. Would never have thought of that – thanks!

3. torwen April 10, 2011 at 2:50 pm #

This seems to be really easy, even easier than drinving to the health food store :)

Do you have to remove the skin from the almonds? Will the milk be brownish if you leave them on?

• Sondi Bruner April 10, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

No, I didn’t remove the skins from the almonds – they got mostly ground up in my blender. And any larger pieces of skin left can be strained out, too.

4. yumyumyummers April 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

really? that’s all it takes to make homemade almond milk? wow, i think i will have to try this out sometime soon. thanks for sharing!

• Sondi Bruner April 10, 2011 at 5:35 pm #

It’s seriously this easy.

5. Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm #

Mmmm I made a recipe similar to this the other day! YUM!

6. unbelloaperitivo April 12, 2011 at 5:04 pm #

If only I had a VitaMix! I buy my almond milk from the store, but I don’t like that it has stabilizers in it. I’m not sure my mini food-processor can handle it…

• Sondi Bruner April 12, 2011 at 5:25 pm #

I don’t have a Vitamix, either. I used a regular blender. I don’t think a mini food processor could do the job – unless you wanted to try blending the milk in many small batches. But I don’t know that the blades would be strong enough.

7. Joanna goes vegan May 3, 2011 at 11:35 am #

I love home-made almond milk it is sooooo much better than the store-bought one.

8. bart September 5, 2011 at 4:34 am #

I just blended my second batch of homemade almond milk, and I have already learned a few lessons. First, no need to remove almond skins, they don’t survive the straining. Second, maple syrup is not quite the right flavor; I’ll be sticking with vanilla extract from now on. This stuff is terrific!

• Sondi Bruner September 5, 2011 at 10:20 am #

I never remove the skins – I’m too lazy! :)

9. Clair October 18, 2011 at 4:56 pm #

Do you use roasted almonds or raw and, does it matter?

• Sondi Bruner October 18, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

I used raw, but you could use roasted too.

10. Nessa McCasey October 27, 2011 at 8:03 am #

I love the way fresh almond milk smells! I save the pulp and use it for making almond muffins (we are on SCD/GAPS diet). I make the almond milk into yogurt for my son who is on the autism spectrum. Yummmm. I have been blanching the nuts and peeling the skins, though, so now I am going to try it without removing the skins. Thanks!

• Sondi Bruner October 27, 2011 at 8:56 am #

I’m far too lazy to take the skin off my almonds…

11. QueenHoneyB December 7, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

Have you found a use for your pulp yet? I’ve started making almond milk a couple times a week instead of buying so much soy milk. I tried processing the pulp with cocoa powder, dates, etc. and the taste is okay, but I don’t like the texture. This time I tried making a baked cheese with it. Processed with some lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and nutritional yeast and a little water and baked it until firm. It’s cooling now, so I’ll see how it turned out! There is a similar almond feta recipe I tried and liked, it’s on my blog, so it’s kind of like that. Not sure if the texture will be the same or not. I hope it’s good, I don’t want to waste all that pulp!

• Sondi Bruner December 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Yes! I’ve been making these almond crackers and they are delish.

• QueenHoneyB December 7, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Those look tasty! I wish I had a dehydrator, though, I stay away from all these dehydrator recipes. Even though you can bake in the oven for a long time at a low heat, it uses so much electricity, so I don’t. I’ll have to give these a try at a higher temp and see if it works so I can cook for a shorter amount of time. Just tasted the almond feta, it’s pretty good. Not as smooth of a texture as the original, but still a tasty spread.

12. Djoyce August 3, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

sorry,how much milk do you get usually from a cup of almonds?

• Sondi Bruner August 3, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Depends on how much water you add. I usually do 1 cup almonds to 4 cups water, and I end up with about 4 cups of almond milk. If you used less water, you’d get less almond milk.

• Djoyce August 3, 2012 at 4:40 pm #

thank you… the thing is when i make oats milk I always get very little milk (less the the added water…) thank you 😉 eager to try it 😉

13. Maria April 18, 2013 at 10:22 pm #

I just started doing this today. I love it. I experimented 2 ways.
    I made one batch removing the skins and noticed the milk separates. The batch that I made without removing the skins, didn’t separate. The one with the skins is also creamier.

14. marina June 17, 2015 at 10:22 pm #

The only problem is that it lasted just two days on the fridge!

• Sondi June 18, 2015 at 10:50 am #

Homemade almond milk doesn’t last as long as store-bought – I will typically freeze a few jars and put some in ice cube trays, and defrost as I need it.

1. Healthy Diaries » 366 Days - January 18, 2012

[…] (source) […]

2. Almond milk and crackers | At Home Dad Inc. - January 19, 2012

[…] http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/homemade-almond-milk/ […]

3. Roasted Chickpeas « Taming the Wildmans - February 3, 2012

[…] large avocado 6 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped ¼ cup raw cacao powder ½ cup almond milk 1/3 cup water ½ tsp vanilla 1 tsp lucuma powder (optional, adds some caramel-ish […]

4. Why These Are The 7 Trendiest Foods Right Now | Live in the Now | Natural Health News | Natural Health Resources - July 24, 2012

[…] almond milk image […]