Peanut Butter Crunch Bars

This is an adaptation of the mocha crunch bars I made a few weeks back, which didn’t wow me because they included instant coffee.

These, though – these were sensational. Full of rich flavour and addictive, nutty goodness. They were better than any store-bought chocolate bar, and don’t have any refined sugars, chemicals or preservatives. There’s no baking required, either – just heat, mix and spread in a pan. Don’t you love easy recipes like that?

To make these fully raw, I could melt the coconut oil and nut butter in a double-boiler, or even warm them in the dehydrator, as it doesn’t take much heat for the coconut oil to melt.

What else could I add to this recipe? Maybe dried coconut?

Like what you read here? Consider subscribing to my blog, either by email (at the top right of this page) or in a reader.

Peanut Butter Crunch Bars

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, refined sugar-free
Recipe type: Dessert
  • 1 ¼ cups mixed nuts
  • ¼ cup ground flax seed
  • ¼ cup raw cacao powder
  • 2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • ¼ cup peanut butter (or any nut butter)
  • ¼ cup coconut oil
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp raw honey (optional)
  1. In a food processor, grind nuts and seeds until fine. Mix in a large bowl with flax seeds, cocoa powder and coconut sugar.
  2. In a small saucepan over low heat, melt coconut oil and peanut butter together, stirring until combined and smooth. Off heat, add vanilla and raw honey, if using.
  3. Pour coconut oil mixture into the nuts and seeds and stir until it comes together. Press into an ungreased loaf pan and chill in refrigerator until set. Cut into 8 bars.

, , , , , ,

11 Responses to Peanut Butter Crunch Bars

1. GroundCherry May 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

Pretty awesome, with sunflower seed butter and a dollop of black currant jam in place of the honey/sugar.

2. oooh, they sound lovely! The pics are great. How about addind raisins and smashed vegan graham crackers?

3. Stephanie Weaver May 16, 2011 at 11:38 am #

Sondi,
    These look like they could become my new faves. I made a similar treat for the Food Blogger Bake Sale this weekend… almond butter, pecans, honey, agave, crispy rice cereal, with smoked salt on top. I usually do a little chipotle powder in them but thought that might be too “out there” for buyers at a bake sale. Here’s the link to that recipe in case you want to check it out: http://bit.ly/k6Dr4F

• Sondi Bruner May 16, 2011 at 3:56 pm #

Stephanie – I could eat these every day, they are so good. Your recipe looks great – chipotle powder is a very interesting idea! I’ve never made treats with it before.

4. Carolyn May 18, 2011 at 5:14 pm #

I didn’t know you’d made my crunch bars! I like this variation. Sorry the mocha ones didn’t work for you…I love coffee so I love mocha flavouring but I know not everyone does. Good for you for playing with it and finding things that work for you. Look great.

• Sondi Bruner May 18, 2011 at 5:30 pm #

This recipe was awesome without the coffee…thanks for coming up with it!

5. Amber Shea @Almost Vegan May 26, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

These look really fantastic. Similar to some “carob spirulina energy nuggets” I picked up from a little health food store in Fort Bragg. I love bite-size, portable, healthy snacks.

• Sondi Bruner May 26, 2011 at 3:43 pm #

Carob spirulina nuggets sound interesting…I should try adding in a few extras like spirulina or chlorella next time.

1. Chocolate Nut Bars | Sustainable Food and Cooking by GroundCherry - May 18, 2011

[...] ones that are slightly chewy. Actually making them hasn’t been happening, so the recipe for these bars thrilled me. Wicked simple– I just needed 10 minutes and to dust off a loaf pan. The [...]