Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites

Since I began the raw food healing challenge, I’ve been burning through lemons like never before.

Each morning, I begin my day with a glass of lemon water to stimulate digestion and kickstart liver detoxification. And I’ve been using it in plenty of sauces, dressings and snacks.

Lemons are very high in Vitamin C, but I’m mainly interested in them due to their alkaline-forming effects in the body.

While lemons are quite acidic on their own, once metabolized they leave alkalizing minerals in their wake. Lots of other foods are alkaline, too – mainly fruits and vegetables, as well as some nuts and seeds.

So why is it important to consume lots of alkaline-forming foods?

With the over-consumption of processed foods, refined sugars and flours, factory farmed animal products and bad fats, our bodies have become extremely acidic. To buffer this acidity, the body pulls alkaline minerals like calcium, magnesium, sodium and potassium from its pool of resources.

An acidic environment places stress on the body, which can leave us vulnerable to disease. However, we don’t want our bodies to be too alkaline, either – as that produces another host of health issues.

What I want is to bring my body back to neutral. I want to be in balance, so I can promote the healing of my gut.

Which is why I’ve become a lemon fiend.

These little bites are packed with alkalizing foods like lemon juice, seeds, coconut and raisins. They also offer plenty of protein, which makes them a satisfying, filling snack.

What do you make of the whole acid-alkaline thing? Do you believe it’s a valid theory, or do you think it’s hogwash?

This post is part of a month-long series about exploring the raw food lifestyle. With the help of holistic nutritionist Jennifer Trecartin, I’m doing a 28-day raw food healing challenge to improve my Crohn’s disease. At the end of the month, I hope to transition off my medication, which I have been taking since I was 18.

Click here if you’d like to check out other posts in the series. And if you don’t want to miss a post, please consider subscribing to my blog, either my email (at the top right of this page) or in a reader.

Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, grain-free
Recipe type: Snack
  • 1 cup sunflower seeds
  • ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
  • ¼ cup sesame seeds
  • ¼ cup shredded coconut
  • 4 tsp poppy seeds
  • ¼ tsp allspice or cinnamon
  • ⅔ cup raisins
  • 3 tbsp lemon juice
  • grated zest from half of a lemon
  1. Process all seeds, coconut and spices until the seeds are well ground. Set aside two tablespoons of the processed mixture in a small bowl to coat finished bites.
  2. Add raisins, lemon juice and zest to the food processor. Process until all of the raisins are small and the mixture starts to clump together.
  3. Squeeze and roll the mixture into balls. Coat with the seed mixture and store in the fridge.

, , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites

1. Junia @ Mis Pensamientos June 28, 2011 at 9:14 pm #

i love these lemon poppyseed bites!!! great flavors and healthy too 😀

• Sondi Bruner June 28, 2011 at 9:46 pm #

These were delicious, and different from the kinds of snacks I usually make.

2. Katie @ Healthnut Foodie June 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

Amazing! I am on day two of a mostly raw, detoxifying diet after discovering that the medication I was on for multiple autoimmune diseases was damaging my liver and raising the liver enzymes in my blood. It went from completely normal to completely out of whack in less than 8 weeks. I am ending day three of being completely drug free (went cold turkey) and am so excited to finally take complete control of my well-being! Good luck to you!!!!

• Sondi Bruner June 30, 2011 at 10:47 pm #

Thank you! And good luck on your raw cleanse – I hope it works out for you. :)

3. Katie @ Healthnut Foodie June 30, 2011 at 8:04 pm #

day three :) oops!

4. Melissa January 2, 2012 at 9:43 am #

Hi,

Is there a substitute for coconut. My sister is allergic so I am looking for something else to use. Thanks! These look great and I am excited to try it.

-Melissa

• Sondi Bruner January 2, 2012 at 11:34 am #

I would just leave it out and add some more nuts instead.

5. Hannah January 15, 2012 at 7:12 am #

I just made these today and they turned out great. Although I didn’t follow the exact recipe, I just used the ingredients I had on hand, they were really tasty. I used the original sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seed, poppy seeds and lemon juice. But I used dates instead of raisins, dried lemon peel,lemon extract and chia seeds ( because I didn’t have a full fourth cup of sesame). The only trouble I had was getting them to stick together. Maybe the chang of ingredients or maybe I underprocessed or overprocessed them, idk but they were still wonderful and I will definetly make them again.

• Sondi Bruner January 15, 2012 at 7:37 am #

The change in ingredients definitely could have affected the consistency. Maybe try adding a little bit of water to get everything to clump together? Glad that you liked them, and that you made them your own.

6. Cindy Grant March 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm #

These look very appetizing, I can’t wait to make them. Is it possible to get the nutritional information for these?

7. Maria Kawczynski March 8, 2012 at 6:38 pm #

I was looking up recipes for quick and tasty energy balls to make for my team after out weekly training and I happen to come across your recipe that looks absolutely delicious. I also saw that you created this recipe because you suffer from Crohn’s disease. It so happens that each one of us running a half-marathon on behalf of the Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America this summer in an effort to raise awareness of this disease and to raise funds for research and education towards a cure. Thank you for this recipe and I look forward to trying out this and some of the other recipes you’ve posted.

• Sondi Bruner March 9, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

I’m glad you enjoyed it! I hope you find more recipes to love here.

8. Karolyn October 16, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

I used 1/2 tsp. homemade pumpkin spice instead of allspice or ground cinnamon alone. Then in the coating I put another 1/2 tsp and they turned out wonderful!

• Sondi Bruner October 16, 2012 at 2:44 pm #

Sounds yum! Thanks for sharing. :)

1. Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites | Nutty Mamas - March 21, 2012

[…] Lemon Poppy Seed Energy Bites From http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com […]

2. Hemgjorda rawbars | Maliniz Cooking Blog - February 3, 2013

[…] http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/lemon-poppy-seed-energy-bites/ […]