Almond Crackers

I just returned from a holiday in my hometown of Toronto, where I caught up with family and friends and watched a ton of reality television with my mom.

There wasn’t much cooking (or uncooking) going on while I was home, so I wanted to ease myself back into food preparation with a super easy raw food recipe.

When I first made almond milk, I fretted about what to do with all of the leftover pulp. After discovering this recipe a few months back, I knew I would never find myself with excess pulp again. In fact, this recipe is basically all I use my almond pulp for.

The flavour of these crackers is so pure – the almonds really shine through here. You could jazz them up with some extra spices, but I haven’t had the inclination to change anything. I usually double or triple the recipe, too.

I like to eat these unadorned, but they’d certainly pair nicely with any dip or spread. Just be careful, as they’re delicate and crumble more easily than store-bought crackers.

(While I was away, I was featured on a blog called Pocket Change, a shopping site that offers content on a wide variety of topics. You can check out the post here.)

Almond Crackers

gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, egg-free, soy-free
Recipe type: Cracker
  • 1 cup firmly packed almond pulp
  • 2 tbsp flax meal
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, then dump it in a pile on a parchment-lined baking pan or a Teflex sheet. Press the dough flat to a ¼-inch thickness with your fingers or the back of a spoon. Cut dough into squares with a knife.
  2. If using an oven, bake at 135 degrees F for at least 20 hours, or until crunchy. If using a dehydrator, dehydrate at 104 degrees for about 24 hours, or until totally dry.

, , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Almond Crackers

1. Stephanie Weaver August 12, 2011 at 8:45 am #

I am SO excited to try this! I’ve been wanting to try making almond milk as well, and this combines my love of crackers with my mother’s “don’t ever through food out I lived through the Depression” mentality. Thanks!

• Sondi Bruner August 12, 2011 at 9:41 am #

These are very addictive. You can’t eat just one!

2. &rea August 12, 2011 at 9:32 am #

Oh wow. That looks really good. Must be great with dip!

3. bestfriendjen August 16, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

The foodie in me screams yum, however, the environmentalist in me scream seriously!? Do you and by you I really mean people who use dehydrators or this low temp oven cooking, ever consider the environmental impact you are having by cooking for such extreme lengths of time? For whatever its worth, I’m all for not tossing pulp or any other food for that matter, but cooking for 20 or 24 hours seems a horrible use of electricity. I’m just sayin…

• Sondi Bruner August 17, 2011 at 9:33 am #

Good point Jen. If you dehydrate a lot using the oven, you would use a lot of electricity, for sure. But dehydrators actually use very low levels of electricity. They use less than anything else you have plugged into your kitchen – microwave, toaster, kettle, etc. We’ve been looking at our electricity bills since I got the dehydrator and there hasn’t been any difference.

Some people have solar dehydrators, though that would not work well for me in Vancouver since we get no sun.

I like to include oven instructions with my recipes, in case people want to try a recipe and don’t have a dehydrator. Most raw food cookbooks will recommend trying the oven-drying method a few times and then if you like the results, to invest in a dehydrator since it uses way less electricity.

• Allison March 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

I just wanted you to know that I made these with fresh almond pulp and used honey as the sweetener! They were AMAZING! I don’t have a dehydrator and didn’t want to use the oven for that amount of time so I baked at 350 for about 10 minutes then reduced it to 200 for 2 hours. they turned out just perfect! and I was making other things at the same time so no electricity was wasted! :) Making another batch right now but using coconut oil and no sweetener….here’s hoping!

• Sondi March 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

Glad that you loved them, Allison. They are so addictive!

4. Jesse @ Happy Go Lucky Vegan August 18, 2011 at 8:09 am #

These look so yummy – with few ingredients! My favorite!

5. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 19, 2011 at 3:06 pm #

I love the texture, they look just wonderful.

6. Cristina August 25, 2011 at 6:16 pm #

I´m baking them right now! The dough tastes great :)

7. Cristina August 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Sondi: I baked my crackers for 2 hours and they are ready. I don´t understand what I did wrong since the recipe is very simple. Why 20 hours? I also baked them at the lowest temp. My crackers look more brown and the ends got burned a bit. What do you think?

I also did the zucchini chips and after two hours they are still wet, maybe I put to much coconut oil since I tripled the recipe. Oh well, I´m experimenting.

• Sondi Bruner August 26, 2011 at 10:55 am #

Hmm…doesn’t sound like you did anything wrong. Everyone’s oven is different, so yours might run hotter which is why the crackers baked so quickly. They likely browned a bit more because the temperature is hotter than a dehydrator, but that’s just fine as long as you like how they taste! As for the zucchini chips, if they are still wet just leave them in a bit longer until they dry out. As you said, it’s all about experimentation and discovering what works well for you.

8. Kay aka Babygirl September 21, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

These almond crackers really looks like a healthy but delicious snack. Thanks for sharing this.

9. Nancy July 9, 2012 at 10:42 am #

If you don’t have almond pulp on hand, can you use almond flour instead? Maybe with some added moisture…like grated zucchini…?

• Sondi Bruner July 9, 2012 at 11:52 am #

That might work, but you’d definitely need to add more liquid, as the pulp is quite moist. Zucchini might be nice!

10. Wendy hiltemann August 5, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks for this, I am definitely going to make some milk, snd then some crackers. I have tried all flax meal crackers, and the flavour is too strong for me. I’ve just started a no wheat plan, as detailed in “Wheat Belly”‘ and find that crackers are about the only thing I miss. Thanks!

11. Danielle October 25, 2013 at 7:12 am #

Hi There,

Looks like a great way to use almond pulp.. I don’t have a dehydrator and my oven I am not sure would last 20 hours as it is a bit temperamental.. Could I raise the temp and cook faster?

Danielle

• Sondi October 25, 2013 at 8:15 am #

Yes, you could definitely raise the temperature. Just keep checking on them, so they don’t burn.

12. amethystjean March 22, 2013 at 8:02 am #

I think that answers my question. This is the pulp right out out of the nut bag when you are finished making milk and not put into the oven or dehydrator to make almond meal.

1. Almond milk and crackers | At Home Dad Inc. - January 20, 2012