I’ve written about the health benefits of quinoa before, like its high content of vitamins, minerals and protein. Quinoa has proven to be an extremely versatile grain in my kitchen, and now I can happily extend its use to cookies!
These chocolatey quinoa cookies were absolutely delicious and virtually guilt-free. I didn’t eat them for dessert since they’re such a perfect snack, whether you’re heading out for a workout or simply looking for an energy boost.
The cookies don’t spread at all, so don’t worry about placing them close together on a cookie sheet. You can also press the batter into a baking pan and cut them into bars later – which is what I’m going to do next time!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa flakes (or quinoa flour)
- 1 cup unsweetened, unsulfured shredded coconut
- 4 large bananas, mashed
- scant ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup dark organic unsweetened chocolate chips, or chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp organic raw cacao powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder, or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork and add vanilla and coconut sugar.
- Add cooked quinoa, quinoa flakes, shredded coconut and raw cacao. Mix well until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat and drop batter onto cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.