Chocolate Granola

A significant portion of this granola was intercepted by my belly on its way to the storage jar.

It all started with the decadent, heavenly aroma that permeated the house. Then I began gingerly breaking off small chunks to nibble on as the granola cooled. Before I knew it, I couldn’t stop grabbing for more.

One chocolatey bite will instantly take you to your happy place (incidentally, my happy place is eating chocolate in my kitchen – so I didn’t have far to go).

Another bonus is that this granola is incredibly simple. You could embellish it with extra nuts and dried fruit, or use it as a topping for dairy-free yogurt or ice cream, but I just loved it on its own.

So the moral of the story is: prepare yourself to exercise restraint before you attempt this.

What foods do you need to summon your willpower for?

Chocolate Granola

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, nut-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Breakfast
  • 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened, shredded organic coconut
  • ¼ cup cacao powder
  • ½ cup raw honey
  • ½ tsp vanilla powder, or vanilla extract
  • pinch of Himalayan sea salt
  1. Mix all of the ingredients together and spread out on a baking sheet lined with a silpat or parchment paper.
  2. Bake at 250-275 degrees F for about 30-35 minutes, or until the granola is dry and crunchy.
  3. Store in a sealed glass container.

, , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Chocolate Granola

1. Christa April 17, 2012 at 1:51 pm #

I LOOOOVE how simple this is!! I *gasp* have run out of cacao powder. Must get another stash ASAP! Can’t wait to devour a batch :)

2. Conor Bofin April 17, 2012 at 2:05 pm #

The granola looks dangerous, very dangerous.
    Best,
    Conor

3. Baker on the Rise April 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

Yum! I would probably snack on this like crazy.

4. Lucy April 17, 2012 at 2:27 pm #

Unfortunately, I’ve not been able to master restraint when it comes to tastiness – this looks yummie!

5. emmycooks April 17, 2012 at 2:56 pm #

Mmm, on ice cream? I love your happy place, that’s definitely one of mine as well. :)

6. frugalfeeding April 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm #

More granola! there’s some serious granola love going on today. This looks great. you might like my most recent post too :D

7. UberFoodie April 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm #

Hey Sondi, I just whipped up a batch and it is now in the oven. The raw dough takes like a chocolate macaroon. OMG! Will report back once I’m done. Thanks for the great recipe. We miss you, Mary

• Sondi Bruner April 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Hope it worked out for you Mary! I miss you guys too – now I have to cook myself dinner on Wednesday nights! :)

8. amiparsnipsandpears April 17, 2012 at 4:41 pm #

I love when a new recipe gets posted and I have all ingredients already on hand!! Off to make for snacking :)

9. UberFoodie April 20, 2012 at 2:07 pm #

Me again. So the granola was such a big hit, we made another batch. A double batch this time. The best compliment is when you hear: “Can we stop getting (the store brand cereal)? I like this much better and it fills me up”. I counted three dirty cereal bowls in the sink yesterday. Smiling now.

10. Jillian April 21, 2012 at 10:12 am #

Hi! I just found your blog and made this last night… absolutely delicious!!! Thanks!

11. Daily Dose of Fresh April 21, 2012 at 11:19 am #

Can’t wait to try this! love your happy place! lol.

12. Driveways Hornchurch May 1, 2012 at 11:50 am #

Yummy yummy yum yum…. looks devine!!

13. Debra May 30, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

Just took it a batch out of the oven. It didn’t even make it to the timer going off before I was “taste testing” it! Yum! I added 2 TB soaked chia seeds and some sliced almonds. Thanks!

1. Playdoh, Chocolate and Crochet. « Sincerely, Sara - June 14, 2012

[...] buisness. I was left to do what needed done. You know, the essentials.. Laundry, dishes, make some chocolate granola, play with some yarn. It was a productive, tasty and peaceful morning. I’m not sure what [...]

2. My place at the beach - February 3, 2013

[...] cooked the Chocolate Granola I mentioned last week, it was nice but not as crunchy as the Tahini Granola I [...]