This isn’t the fanciest snack on the block.
It doesn’t have many bells or whistles, but it’s sturdy, reliable and gets you where you need to go. Kinda like that hand-me-down bike you were embarrassed to ride when you were nine, or your dad’s borrowed old station wagon you wished was a flashy sports car.
Not everyone likes the taste of hemp, but there are plenty of compelling reasons why it’s a great addition to your diet:
– Hemp is a complete protein, which means it contains all of the essential amino acids our body needs to thrive.
– Hemp is a great source of essential fatty acids; it also contains the perfect ratio of omega 3 to omega 6.
– Hemp contains a protein called edestin that closely resembles the protein found in human blood, making it very easy for our bodies to digest and absorb.
– Hemp makes a great alternative to allergens like soy, corn and peanuts.
– Hemp is a wonderful source of fibre.
So there you have it: hemp is good for you. And when it’s combined with coconut, maple syrup and vanilla, you won’t be able to resist.
I love the taste of hemp, actually. What about you?
- ¾ cup shelled hemp seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla powder, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened coconut flakes for rolling
- Take the first five ingredients and combine in a food processor until a fairly smooth dough forms.
- Melt the coconut oil very gently over low heat until just melted, then add to the food processor while it is running and mix until evenly distributed.
- Put the ⅓ cup of coconut flakes on a plate.
- Take spoonfuls of the 'batter' and shape into balls, then roll in the coconut flakes. Place the finished bites on a plate or baking sheet covered in parchment. When all the balls are rolled, place them in the freezer for at least half an hour to firm up.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.