I’ll admit I was not crazy about these cookies at first. I don’t like protein powders and though I used one that was mild and neutral, the flavour still seemed a bit overwhelming.
Slowly but surely, I grew to appreciate these little dense, satisfying nuggets with their delightful pops of chocolatey sweetness. They make the perfect mid-morning nibble, post-workout fuel or afternoon treat.
If you’re concerned they might taste too beany or powdery, then simply sub the water for more maple syrup.
Or add more chocolate chunks. Problem solved.
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- scant ⅓ cup protein powder
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ cup gluten-free, dairy-free chocolate chunks or chips
- In food processor or blender, puree chickpeas. Add water, protein powder, hemp seeds and maple syrup, then blend again. It should form a ball of dough.
- If it is still crumbly, add a tiny amount of water, a teaspoon at a time. Process until it forms a dough ball.
- Stir in chocolate chunks by hand. Form into 1-inch balls and flatten slightly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.