Crispy, Crunchy Curried Lentils

In the last few months, I’ve made my crunchy roasted chickpeas time and time again.

Then I wondered: could I create the same effect with other beans?

The answer? Heck yeah!

These roasted lentils are perfect for snacking. You’ll keep reaching for more, and you should – because they’re full of fibre and a great array of vitamins and minerals (including iron and folate, which help us prevent anemia).

You can flavour these with whatever spices you fancy. I know I’ll continue to play around with different combinations – I’m even thinking of mixing up a few different kinds of beans and making a crunchy ‘trail mix’ of sorts. Woot! Yep, these are the things that excite me. It’s sad, really.

Oh, and you’ll probably want to double the quantities below – I only made a small amount since I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out. Now that I know they’re fantastic, I’ll bake a larger portion next time around.

Crispy, Crunchy Curried Lentils

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, sugar-free, vegan, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Snack
  • ½ cup green lentils, soaked (this improves their digestibility)
  • 1 heaping tsp curry powder
  • ¼-1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  1. Drain and rinse the soaked lentils, then add them to a pot of fresh water. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender. Drain and rinse again.
  2. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Place the lentils into a small bowl, then add the curry powder, salt and olive oil. Mix well, then dump them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
  3. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are dry and crunchy.

, , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Crispy, Crunchy Curried Lentils

1. Vinny Grette June 1, 2012 at 9:47 am #

Wonderful idea for a healthy snack – must try a child friendly version… let’s see. Cinnamon and olive oil??? Have to experiment!

• Sondi Bruner June 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm #

I’ve also done a salt and apple cider vinegar version that might be a hit with kids. But cinnamon and coconut sugar might work, too!

2. Becca's Kitchen June 1, 2012 at 10:22 am #

Yum! This looks fantastic and your pictures are beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I’m glad I came across you on here – your blog is great! :)

3. emmycooks June 1, 2012 at 11:28 am #

What a great snack to keep handy! I have had trouble crisping up roasted garbanzos but it makes sense that little lentils would be easier.

4. frugalfeeding June 1, 2012 at 2:06 pm #

Lentils are pretty much my favourite ingredients ever – these sound like the perfect snack :)

5. glutenfreehappytummy June 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm #

genius — positively genius! i can’t wait to try this! thanks for sharing!

6. Faith May 4, 2014 at 7:49 pm #

Any idea on how long these last? And how do you store them – sealed container on counter or in fridge? Making them up right now! Need a quick, healthy snack to have on hand.

• Sondi May 5, 2014 at 9:14 am #

I store these in a sealed container in my cupboard, not in the fridge. I find I go through them so quickly they don’t have time to go off! Since they are dried, they should last for at least a week or two, though sometimes they may soften a bit. To combat this, you can put a desiccant package (those little packets that often come in supplements) in with the lentils to absorb the moisture.

1. Lentil Recipes - From - May 1, 2014