How to Make Your Own Coconut Butter

Coconut butter is incredibly expensive to buy in the store.

Want to know what’s in it? Coconut flesh. That’s all.

You can mimic the creamy, coconutty goodness at home using shredded coconut. It’s a simple process, really – just like making other nut butters.

And when you’re done, spread it on toast, use it in baking, toss it over steamed veggies, add it to your smoothie. Or just eat it straight up with a spoon.

Love desserts? Me too! That’s why I wrote an e-book about how to make them healthy. Take a peek here.

How to Make Your Own Coconut Butter

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, egg-free, soy-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Spread
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  1. Place the coconut in a food processor and blend, blend, blend, blend. You’ll need to stop every few minutes or so to scrape down the sides.
  2. It may take 10-15 minutes for everything to come together, but it will. Patience is a virtue here.
  3. When the coconut butter is nice and drippy, it’s done. Store in a glass jar.

, , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to How to Make Your Own Coconut Butter

1. Jenny June 28, 2012 at 1:21 pm #

I had no idea I could make my own Coconut Butter, it seems really obvious now! Thanks so much for sharing :) Now I just need a food processor and I’m totally going to try this out!

• Sondi Bruner June 28, 2012 at 1:28 pm #

Go for it! My food processor is one of my favourite tools, and mine was inexpensive. You could also grab a mini-one, if you don’t have the cupboard space.

2. sani panini June 28, 2012 at 1:25 pm #

Nice! Never knew how easy it was!

3. Suzanne June 28, 2012 at 1:46 pm #

WHAT???!!?? I’m so excited you’ve posted a more cost effective way to get coconut butter! Moms on budgets love cost cutting tricks like this.YAY!

• Sondi Bruner June 28, 2012 at 6:36 pm #

It’s amazing how you can make SO many things more cost effective when you make them at home.

4. thefoodery June 28, 2012 at 4:37 pm #

This is great, I’d love to make this but I’ve never ran my food processor that long (It’s a KitchenAid.) Should I give it a break, maybe to cool down after five minutes or so?

• Sondi Bruner June 28, 2012 at 6:35 pm #

It won’t be running constantly, as you’ll have to stop it a number of times to scrape down the sides. If your processor starts heating up too much, then try giving it a break. And if it starts smoking, well, then run for cover. :)

• thefoodery June 29, 2012 at 4:09 am #

Haha, good advice! I will give it a try, thanks, Sondi!

5. syairuh July 7, 2012 at 1:55 pm #

Shredded coconut…as in the stuff in the baking aisle?

Looks delicious, just want to make sure I have the right stuff before I attempt to make this!

6. naturespalace August 6, 2012 at 6:30 am #

Do you have a place to order coconut flakes or shredded coconut that is clean from added preservatives? I can’t find anything around here and would love to have some.

7. Teshaida July 30, 2013 at 6:36 am #

Hey Sondi, just found your blog and it’s fantastic! I was wondering how long with coconut butter will last for? and should I store it in the fridge?

• Sondi July 30, 2013 at 8:20 am #

It should last a least a couple of weeks – if you don’t eat it all first, that is. You can keep it in the fridge, though I find that makes it more firm and harder to spread.

1. Chocolate Cupcakes (Paleo, Nut-Free) | My Delicious Life - April 26, 2013

[...] butter), which is basically just ground up coconut meat.  If you have a very good food processor, you could try making your own.   If you do this, I would love to hear how it turns out!  I buy it jarred at health food stores [...]

2. Toasted Coconut Almond Butter | Paula Galli - April 10, 2014

[…] the love child of coconut butter and almond […]