Dill Pickle Kale Chips

Kale is all the rage these days. In case you haven’t heard, it’s the new beef.

I’ve been seeing fancy, delicate bags of flavoured kale chips cropping up in grocery stores all over town. Now, I’m usually not one to deprive health-minded companies of business, especially when they’re trying to provide a wholesome snack that gives people an alternative to the abundance of crap out there.

However, I just can’t bring myself to buy kale chips. Not when I can make amazing flavours at home for a fraction of the price.

If you can afford it, by all means – please buy kale chips. But if you’re looking to save a few dollars and have an incredibly tasty nosh, then make these at home. They don’t take a lot of effort, and the reward is delicious. (If dill pickle isn’t your flavour, perhaps I can interest you in chocolate, cheesy, or olive oil and lemon kale chips?)

How often do you buy food items you know you can make at home?

Love desserts? Me too! That’s why I wrote an e-book about how to make them healthy. Take a peek here.

Dill Pickle Kale Chips

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Snack
  • 1 head of kale
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 tbsp dill pickle brine
  • 1 bunch of dill
  • ½ cup raw cashews
  • pinch of sea salt
  • ¼ cup water
  1. Add the vinegar, brine, dill, cashews, water and salt to a blender or food processor and process until smooth and creamy.
  2. Rip the kale into bite-sized pieces and put them in a large bowl. Add the marinade from the blender and use your hands to massage it in, until all the kale pieces are evenly coated.
  3. If using a dehydrator, spread the kale onto two racks lined with Teflex sheets and dehydrate at 110 degrees until the chips are completely dry. This will take about 6-8 hours.
  4. If using an oven, spread the kale onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Set your oven on its lowest temperature and bake until the chips are dry and crispy (times will vary depending on the oven).

, , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Dill Pickle Kale Chips

1. Redd H from Salted Spoon July 2, 2012 at 1:39 pm #

Simple and yummy looking! I love this idea and I’m just now hopping on the kale bandwagon.

2. whaleshark July 2, 2012 at 8:42 pm #

It looks healthy because of the green color but I think i don’t really like the taste. Anyway, thanks for the recipe.

3. Dorothy July 4, 2012 at 8:50 am #

Wanna have a virtuous, enjoyable, appealing and delightful recipes to be learn? Try the Gourmandia, Everything-cake, Coffeefashion, Fishlogy and Soupssimo. These are the sites that can surely gives you the cooking recipes that you’re looking for.

4. Nancy July 8, 2012 at 3:24 pm #

These are great! Thank you for resurrecting my dehydrator! It had been hanging out in the basement for a long time b/c I got bored with the few recipes my kids would eat. It also gives me good use for the kale I have in the garden – only I don’t mind if the kids don’t like these – the kale chips are all for me!

• Sondi Bruner July 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm #

That’s my philosophy – if other people don’t want it, more for me!

5. Redd H from Salted Spoon July 15, 2012 at 4:15 pm #

This recipe is on my weekly roundup!

6. Amelia July 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm #

I have to say this recipee has changed my life. Not to sound dramatic but it has. I have never really enjoyed eating kale, maybe once or twice in my life have I had a dish with kale that I wasn’t eating out of a sense of obligation to be good to my body and those were normally covered in butter or some other unhealthy preparation. However, I LOVE dill and pickles and when your post with this recipee popped into my inbox I was intrigued. My garden was full of kale and fresh dill so I went for it. Your sauce makes an awesome dressing I couldn’t stop eating the kale pieces out of the bowl while I was loading the pan to go in my oven! And out of the oven they were AMAZING! I’m hooked! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I’m telling everyone I know about these!

• Sondi Bruner July 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm #

Awesome!! So glad that you are getting into kale at long last. I’m afraid I can’t take credit for this recipe – I borrowed it from the fabulous nutritionista Meghan Telpner.

7. Neecey August 13, 2012 at 8:22 pm #

Tried this recipe today and we “LOVE” it!!! Even my 12 year old, who hates green veggies, loved it!! A keeper for sure. Thanks for sharing. :)

• Sondi Bruner August 13, 2012 at 10:45 pm #

It’s awesome when you can get 12 year olds to start loving greens!

1. Kale Chips and Chickens | Uncanny - July 31, 2012

[...] his kale best. But kale chips are pretty dang good, too. There are all kinds of recipes (like this one) that you can find online for these wonderfully healthy chips, but I had them the easy way: [...]

2. Dill Pickle Kale Chips « A Family of Foodies - August 13, 2012

[...] http://thecopycatcook.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/dill-pickle-kale-chips/ [...]

3. Raw Sour Cream & Onion Kale Chips | the taste space - steam, bake, boil, shake! - July 11, 2013

[...] Dill Pickle Kale Chips at Sondi Bruner [...]