Tahini Granola

Tahini usually gets the short end of the stick, doesn’t it? We blend it into dips, sauces and spreads, eager to disguise its nutty, earthy taste with other flavours.

Poor tahini. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.

Until now.

In this very more-ish granola, tahini has the opportunity to take centre stage. It doesn’t overpower, but it’s definitely there. Being delicious.

As always, you’re welcome to chuck in more ingredients: pumpkin seeds, shredded coconut, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, walnuts, almonds. Just do what you need to. Remember: the sooner you get this in the oven, the sooner you’ll have it in your belly.

(Looking for ways to eat healthy without spending a ton of cash? Check out my latest e-book about healthy eating on a budget.)

Tahini Granola

Adapted from The Jew and the Carrot
gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Breakfast
  • 2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
  • ¼ cup tahini
  • ⅓ cup maple syrup
  • ¾ cup raisins
  • ½ tsp cinnamon
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a large bowl, mix the oats, raisins and cinnamon. In a separate, smaller bowl, whisk the tahini and maple syrup until they are well mixed.
  3. Add the tahini mixture to the oats and stir until everything is coated. Spread the granola out onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
  4. Bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway. The granola will crisp up as it cools. Allow it to cool completely before transferring to a sealed container.

, , , , , , , , , ,

One Response to Tahini Granola

1. onesmallvegan October 25, 2012 at 12:59 pm #

Yum!

2. emmycooks October 25, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

I can’t wait to try this. I usually add my dried fruit after baking so it doesn’t harden/burn, but you think I should bake it with the granola here? I love tahini!

• Sondi Bruner October 25, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

I typically add my dried fruit after baking, too, but I tried baking it with the raisins and I really liked them a bit crunchier/chewier. Feel free to add them later if you prefer!

3. healthygirlandthecity October 25, 2012 at 1:24 pm #

this is great! i’m going to have to play around with this one :)

4. sybaritica October 25, 2012 at 2:25 pm #

That’s a clever idea!

5. mgking76 October 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

Thanks for the recipe! Making it this weekend! I always have tahini on hand.

6. mgking76 November 4, 2012 at 10:06 am #

I really loved this and can’t stop making it. I did make a few alterations. Would you mind if I share it with my readers as long as I gave you credit?

• Sondi Bruner November 4, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Sure, that’s no problem. I can’t wait to see your iteration!

7. Crystal December 16, 2012 at 7:57 am #

A more traditional syrup to pair with tahini would probably be a date syrup, which seems like it would be delicious in the recipe.

8. Karla February 9, 2013 at 9:39 am #

Just made this. I did add some toasted sesame seeds after cooling and then seved with steamed milk as a hot cereal (hazelnut – what I had on hand) — yummy!!

1. Tahini Granola | My Whole Food Life - December 31, 2012

[…] I cannot take credit for the idea.  This recipe is adapted from thecopycatcook.  For those of you that are wondering what tahini is, tahini is sesame paste and one of the base […]