Homemade Coconut Milk

In the last year, I’ve made a variety of nut and seed milks.

But for some reason, I found coconut milk intimidating. I worried I couldn’t create a version that tasted as delicious as one that came from a carton or a can.

You know what? Making coconut milk uses exactly the same process as other nut milks, and tastes fantastic.

Silly Sondi.

(Looking for healthy dessert recipes, or tips for how to eat deliciously on a budget? Then check out my e-books here.)

Homemade Coconut Milk

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Beverage
  • 1 cup organic, unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 3 cups hot water, divided
  1. Add the shredded coconut and two cups of the water to a blender and blend away for a minute or two.
  2. Strain the milk through a fine mesh strainer into a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid as you can out of the pulp.
  3. Add the pulp back into the blender with the remaining one cup of water. Blend for a minute, then strain through a strainer again.
  4. Makes about 2½ cups.

, , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Homemade Coconut Milk

1. Bethany November 26, 2012 at 7:08 pm #

Thank you for posting this. I love coconut milk. I was under the impression that you had to make it from a coconut in a shell. Can’t wait to try your recipe!

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 7:58 pm #

You could definitely make it from coconut meat, but that can get really pricey. This version is cheap, easy and delish.

2. Amber :) (@mommastuffblog) November 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

We go through coconut milk like CRAZY around here, I’m going to have to try this!! thanks Sondi!

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 7:57 pm #

We go through it a lot too, and I started to worry about the BPA in the cans. This version is a snap to make and tastes amazing.

3. ediblebalance November 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm #

Oh Sondi, you have made me SO happy with this recipe!! How incredibly simple! I love coconut milk, can’t wait to make it :)

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm #

Let me know what you think of it, Christa!

4. jenshragge November 26, 2012 at 8:01 pm #

Could we add a tiny bit of vanilla for a “sweetened” version? or even use sweetened shredded coconut???

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 8:05 pm #

Yep, those are great ideas!

5. Melissa@EyesBigger November 26, 2012 at 8:12 pm #

Love this! I’m lactose intolerant and while I do use the pills, sometimes it’s just nice to not have to worry about it. I love coconut milk. Have you tried cooking with your homemade version? (curries, soup, etc)

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 8:50 pm #

I have used it in a curry and in baking, and it worked wonderfully for both. I’ve also made lots of hot chocolate with it. :) It’s not as thick as the coconut milk in a can, but you could use less water for a thicker version. It’s nice in smoothies, too.

6. Ann Wilson November 26, 2012 at 8:24 pm #

HI Sondi – I have a Vitamix blender. Would that pulverize the coconut shreds too much to make this? Not sure what kind of blender you used. I imagine I could put the Vitamix on medium vs. the super high power. Thanks so much!

• Sondi Bruner November 26, 2012 at 8:48 pm #

Hi Ann! I used my Vitamix for this recipe and went all the way up to 10 on the regular setting (I didn’t use the super high powered setting). I still got plenty of pulp that I needed to strain.

7. Nathalie December 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm #

My son will be 1 in mid-January and I’m going to make this from him as I don’t want to use cow’s milk. Do you use just regular tap water or bottled ??? Just want to make sure I am using the best and healthiest water for him. Thanks. :)

• Sondi Bruner December 17, 2012 at 6:11 pm #

I have a filtration system in my kitchen tap, so I use filtered water. It was very reasonably priced, too. Use the cleanest water you have. Bottled water is essentially tap water, and it’s packaged in plastic, so I wouldn’t recommend it. Depending on where you live, if you’re concerned about water quality, you could boil the water and add some minerals back in. Chlorine in water also dissipates after sitting out for about 15 minutes, so that’s an option too.