Some days are perfect for green smoothies and kale salads.
Others are meant for heartier fare, like this loaf. It’s like eating meat and potatoes, without the actual meat or potatoes.
It’s even perfect for the lazy folk, who don’t even need to expend the effort to scoop more than one forkful – all of the warmth and flavour are enclosed in one comforting bite.
The day I made this, I ate it for both lunch and dinner. It’s that good.
There are more steps to this dish than in my five-ingredient recipes, but they’re not difficult and the results are worth it. This probably isn’t something you’d want to create after going to work and hitting the gym, but for a lazy weekend afternoon? Go for it.
I’m experimenting with a new recipe plugin – what do you think? Do you like the recipe in the format below, or do you prefer it like in this post?
- 1 small head of cauliflower (about 1½ pounds)
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1½ cups)
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1½ cups cooked green lentils
- ¼ tsp each of dried basil, oregano, sage and parsley
- ½ cup gluten-free oats
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- In a vegetable steamer, steam the cauliflower and garlic for about 10-12 minutes, until soft.
- Let them cool for a bit, then put them in a food processor with ¼ tsp salt. Blend until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, sauté the onions in a few tablespoons of water until softened. Add the celery, carrot, lentils, spices and the remaining salt and cook for about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the gluten-free oats.
- Take half the mixture out of the pot and plunk it into the food processor. Pulse it 8 or 10 times, until it gets slightly mashed, then put it back in the pot and stir.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Take about ¾ of the mixture and press it into the bottom and sides of the pan. Fill the centre with the mashed cauliflower, then press the remaining mixture on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes, until the top of the loaf is dry and golden.