This paté is a delightful combination of sweet and spicy. At first bite you might think, ‘Oh, this is too sweet’, but then you’ll be hit by the savory notes of the curry powder and go, ‘Nah’.
Gourmet culinary folks probably think I shouldn’t be calling this paté, since paté is technically a spreadable mixture of meat and fat.
But I’ve decided that I am usurping that term and transforming the definition to ‘spreadable mixture of vegetables, nuts and spices’. You good with that?
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed small (about 200 grams, or 1½ cups)
- 2 small carrots, cubed (about 1 cup)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped (about 1 cup)
- ⅓ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp salt, or more to taste
- In a vegetable steamer, steam the carrots and potatoes until they're soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté the onion in a few tablespoons of water, until they are soft and translucent.
- Put the sunflower seeds into a food processor and blend them for 30 seconds to a minute. They don't need to be finely ground. Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl of the processor and process until everything is smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides if needed. You shouldn't need to add any water.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed. Chill, then serve.