Maple Cinnamon Walnut Butter

Walnut Butter 2

I’m gonna get real with you.

If I could eat anything without consequences, I wouldn’t choose dairy-based ice cream. Or candy. Or pizza. Or cupcakes.

It would be peanut butter, straight from the jar with a spoon.

Unfortunately, most peanuts contain aflatoxins, a carcinogenic mold that puts pressure on the liver and causes gut imbalances in us folks with digestive issues. That’s why my peanut butter consumption has taken a nosedive in recent years, and is reserved for a rare treat.

But a girl’s got to have some nutty joys. It has never occurred to me to make walnut butter before, and after creating this recipe, I feel sad about that.

This walnut butter is smooth and earthy, with a delightful undertone of maple cinnamon flavour. Plus, walnuts are of the healthiest nuts around, with their combo of healthy fats, anti-inflammatory nutrients and antioxidants that are good for our brains and hearts.

What would you choose to eat if there were no repercussions?

5.0 from 1 reviews
Maple Cinnamon Walnut Butter

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Nut Butter
  • 2½ cups walnuts
  • 1 tsp maple syrup
  • a couple of pinches of cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Spread the walnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes.
  3. When the walnuts have cooled off, put them in a food processor and whirl until smooth. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon and salt and blend again.
  4. Taste, and adjust the spices as necessary.

, , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Maple Cinnamon Walnut Butter

1. Christa @ Edible Balance May 30, 2013 at 1:07 pm #

Oh my word. It has been far too long since I’ve made my own nut butter! My favorite to make has been pecan butter, but walnut is a very close second!

• Sondi May 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm #

I’ve never made pecan butter, either. I should do that one next!

2. Melissa@EyesBigger May 30, 2013 at 1:54 pm #

I’m a peanut butter gal too… and I confess… I love the kraft stuff with all the bad extra sugar and salt in it. It’s my comfort food. This one looks pretty tasty – and I’d probably put rasins in it too (yeah, I know…)

• Sondi May 30, 2013 at 6:14 pm #

Raisins. Genius!

3. Stephanie May 31, 2013 at 9:15 am #

Interestingly, I’m reading an article about the negative consequences of restrictions and positive aspects of being comfortable with eating preferred foods without concerns about nutritional content. Interesting intuitive approach based on structured eating occasions without regard to the foods they contain, and one that I half-follow. Which means that I have favorites that I eat as often as I’m willing to make/buy, and I can’t really think of anything (other than perhaps a gluten-free croissant, which I’ve never gotten brave enough to try to make) that I specifically avoid.

In that light, I think it’s valuable to consider settings and such… because are the consequences of a cupcake (adhering to allergies etc) actually so awful for healthy adults (as opposed to someone which IBD, for example)?

4. Crista June 2, 2013 at 7:30 am #

this looks DIVINE. i am in love.