Chocolate Kale Brownies

Kale Brownies 1

THESE BROWNIES HAVE KALE AND ZUCCHINI IN THEM.

I’m leading with the big reveal. No concealment or subterfuge.

‘Cause there’s no disguising that these brownies are dense and fudgy and chocolately, all of the components that make any type of brownie freaking delicious.

They have kale and zucchini, and I’m enraptured.

My one regret? I debated tossing in another full cup of shredded kale in the batter, but chickened out at the last minute. When I make these again (which, let’s face it, will likely be in the near future), that extra cup is joining the party.

Chocolate Kale Brownies

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, vegan, egg-free
Recipe type: Dessert
  • ¾ cup gluten-free flour (I used ½ cup brown rice, ¼ cup arrowroot)
  • ½ cup cocoa powder
  • ¾ cup coconut sugar
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ½ cup coconut milk (full fat)
  • ¼ cup melted coconut oil
  • ½ cup lightly packed shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup finely shredded, lightly packed kale
  • ½ tsp vanilla powder, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degress F.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. Add in the coconut milk, coconut oil and vanilla, and stir until everything is well mixed.
  3. Fold in the kale and zucchini.
  4. Lightly grease an 8x8-inch baking pan with coconut oil, then pour in the batter and smooth it out evenly.
  5. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, depending on how fudgy you like your brownies. Makes 12 to 16 squares.

, , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to Chocolate Kale Brownies

1. Corri September 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm #

Just put these in the oven (with 2 cups of kale). Just eating the batter is amazing. Can’t wait to eat them!!! Yay healthy desserts!

• Sondi September 16, 2013 at 9:22 pm #

Yay indeed!!

2. Suzanne @RollWithIt September 16, 2013 at 8:22 pm #

What!?!??? Kale in brownies?!??!? These sound amazing and healthy!!!! Cannot wait to try them out!

3. Corri September 17, 2013 at 10:40 am #

To everyone who reads this recipe–you must try it. And, definitely use the extra cup of kale (2 cups). These are magically delicious. Great texture and flavor!

4. Molly September 21, 2013 at 12:07 pm #

These look like a great way to use up some of the bumper crop of kale I have in my garden! What’s the best way to shred the kale to the best size? Because usually when I see “shred” I think cheese grater and that’s obviously not how one would shred kale!

• Sondi September 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm #

Molly, that is a very good point. I rolled up my kale leaves tightly, sliced them very thinly lengthwise, then chopped them roughly widthwise. You kind of want to cut them almost as small as you’d cut a herb.

5. Rebecca October 30, 2013 at 8:10 pm #

Would romaine work instead of kale?

• Sondi October 31, 2013 at 10:28 am #

Yes, romaine should work. Let me know how they turn out!

6. gina February 24, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

I’m surprised we’re shredding the kale as opposed to pureeing it w/ the batter. By shredding it, can u assure me it cooks down enough so I don’t get stringy bits of green whenI bite intol it? I’m intrigued as heck! Just need exrra reassurance, I guess.

• Sondi February 24, 2014 at 7:19 pm #

Hi Gina. I kept it shredded to go along with my ‘out and proud’ approach to having kale in brownies. It does cook down, but I can’t absolutely guarantee you won’t get a string or two of kale in a bite. If you’re worried, you could blend it instead.

7. Elizabeth January 6, 2015 at 2:24 pm #

Could you use almond milk instead of coconut milk?

• Sondi January 6, 2015 at 4:53 pm #

Absolutely!

8. Aisha October 21, 2015 at 5:37 pm #

will puréeing or blending create to much liquid or moisture?

• Sondi October 21, 2015 at 7:05 pm #

Hi Aisha! I’m not sure if you’re asking if pureeing the kale will add too much moisture, or blending the entire recipe together. I haven’t tried pureeing the kale in this recipe, but I don’t imagine it will greatly impact the moisture levels.

9. Debi February 20, 2016 at 7:09 pm #

I made this recipe this weekend for a church potluck, and I didn’t bring home so much as a crumb. I double the recipe … probably should have tripled it at least! Instead of the cocoa powder, I used 2/3 c carob powder for the doubled recipe. I knew I had people who couldn’t handle chocolate. They were amazed at how good kale could be!

• Sondi February 20, 2016 at 7:28 pm #

Wow, well that is a ringing endorsement! Your comment makes me so happy. I’m glad everyone enjoyed them. Maybe you can convince my husband to feel the same way. 😉

10. Alexa Hamm April 16, 2016 at 12:17 pm #

Do you think you could use cumcumber instead of zucchini?

• Sondi April 16, 2016 at 2:13 pm #

Hmm. Zucchini and cucumber have similar water contents, so maybe. Give it a go and let me know how it turns out!

1. Gorge on Your Greens | sasquatch in the kitchen - January 30, 2014

[…] Kale Brownies […]

2. The FBC Weekly Menu Plan with Sondi Bruner | Food Bloggers of Canada - November 2, 2014

[…] Chocolate Kale Brownies […]