Roasted Sunflower Seed Butter

Sunflower Seed Butter 1

You guys, there is something I am so obsessed with I decided to devote an entire week of recipes to it on this website.

The magical ingredient? Roasted sunflower seed butter, or sunbutter.

Sunbutter isn’t a new or fancy trend. In fact, I’m a little late to the sunbutter game, but now I’m its biggest cheerleader, complete with high ponytail and pom poms and coordinated dance moves.

Oh, the humble sunflower seed. It’s small and mighty, packed with protein, important antioxidants like Vitamin E and selenium, as well as magnesium, which helps us relax and calm down. Sunflower seeds are also anti-inflammatory and good for our hearts.

By gently roasting sunflower seeds and then grinding them, they transform into a creamy substance that tastes remarkably similar to peanut butter (some of you might remember that I limit my peanut consumption, due to the impact of peanut aflatoxins and other molds on the digestive tract). But there’s no need to miss peanut butter when I’ve got this beaut of a recipe on my side.

Another benefit to sunflower seeds is they are far less expensive than nuts. You can explore and experiment with them instead of worrying about mutating $18 worth of pecans into something inedible.

Let’s start off with this basic recipe for sunbutter, which I’ll be featuring in different recipes every day this week. All of which I’m extremely excited to share with you!

Sunbutter (Roasted Sunflower Seed Butter)

gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Spread
  • 3 cups raw sunflower seeds, soaked for a few hours or overnight
  • ⅛ tsp salt
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Drain and rinse your sunflower seeds. Spread them out in an even layer on a baking sheet (or two, depending on the size of your pans).
  3. Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so. You want the seeds to be completely dry and lightly toasted. Take them out of the oven and allow them to cool for a bit.
  4. Dump the seeds into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides as needed. This might take 5 or 10 minutes. Add the salt and blend again to incorporate it.
  5. Store in a container in the fridge.

, , , , , , ,

11 Responses to Roasted Sunflower Seed Butter

1. Dianna February 11, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

How long will this stay good in the fridge? I love the nutty flavor of sunflower seeds and look forward to trying some of your recipes!

• Sondi February 12, 2014 at 9:18 am #

I’d say this would be good in the fridge for a month, but my nut butters never last that long because I use them up before that. :)

2. Julie March 12, 2014 at 10:54 am #

Dear Sondi, first of all I want to tell you how much I like your blog. I felt alone and without resource whe I turned my own diet upside down. You blog is inspiring and funny. I wish I was in the Vancouver area so I could attend one of your session.
    I also wanted to tell you that I would never have thought of sunflower seed butter! Can’t wait to try it out! I also limit my peanut consumption. I eat a lot of almond and hazelnut butter, which aren’t cheap.
    Thanks again!! -Julie xx (from Montreal area)

• Sondi March 12, 2014 at 11:06 am #

Thank you Julie for your kind words, and for reading this blog. I’m so glad that you like it. Roasted sunflower seed butter is incredible, and will save you cash! Seeds are much cheaper than almonds and especially hazelnuts, which are pricy.

3. Sarah April 6, 2014 at 9:44 am #

Where can you get sunflower seeds that have not been in a facility with peanuts or nuts? I am very interested in making my own because even Sunbutter that you buy in the store has been on same equipment they roast Soy. My son is allergic to Peanuts, Tree Nuts and Soy. :(

• Sondi April 6, 2014 at 4:29 pm #

Hi Sarah. I don’t know where you live, but my best suggestions is contacting your local health food store. Ask if they have any sunflower seeds that have not come in contact with tree nuts and other nuts. There are also some great brands online. I love Prana: http://pranana.com/en/

• anisa April 11, 2014 at 12:24 am #

hi Sarah, i’ve been trying for a few months to find sunflower seeds from a facility that does not process other allergens. My daughter has dairy, soy, tree nut and egg allergies. I live in the vancouver area where do you recommend?

• Sondi April 11, 2014 at 7:31 am #

You could give Galloway’s a try, Prana or Real Raw Food – but they do sell other allergens like tree nuts. Sounds like you’ll have to call around and ask detailed questions about cross-contamination.

• anisa April 11, 2014 at 10:21 pm #

thanks I will give those places a try.

1. February 2014 Articles and Recipes | Run, Leap, Dance, Peace: Fitness for Life and Joy - February 13, 2014

[…] Roasted Sunflower Seed Butter […]

2. No-Bake Sunbutter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars | Paula Galli - March 19, 2014

[…] It’s roasted sunflower seeds and my new favourite obsession. […]