I’m resisting the urge to solely use capital letters here. When I read text in all caps I feel like people are yelling at me.
This is the tastiest, most delightful vegan cream cheese ever (are italics okay?).
Scrumptious. Toothsome. Heavenly. Yummy. Pick your favourite adjective to describe something flavourful, and slap it onto this recipe.
I developed this luscious vegan cream cheese recipe for a dairy-free workshop I hosted at Galloways, and have been lying in wait to share it with you.
It’s been a while since I’ve had real cream cheese, but this is how I recall it tasting. Creamy, tangy and robust; it makes you sit up and take notice. What I love about this recipe is it’s completely customizable. The first five ingredients are the foundation, but after that you can run with it however you’d like.
Some ideas for what you can toss in here:
- Dill and chives
- Caramelized onions
- Sundried tomatoes
- Roasted red pepper and garlic
- Basil and rosemary
And the next step? Devising a sweet version that I can use as cream cheese icing for carrot cake and sandwich cookies.
Yum. (Stop tempting me, ‘caps lock’ key.)
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for at least 6 hours
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 cloves of garlic, roasted
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary
- Drain and rinse your cashews in a strainer or colander, then add them to a high-speed blender along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Blend for a couple of minutes, until everything becomes smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides if necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Chill in the fridge overnight to achieve a thick, cream cheese-like texture.