Toasted Coconut Almond Butter

Coconut Almond Butter 1

It’s the love child of coconut butter and almond butter.

But this isn’t a clandestine, illegitimate situation where you shun the kid from the family and deny him his right to the throne.

Nope. This is the kinda offspring you proudly ascend on a golden pedestal, and then eat by the spoonful.

Wait. Did I just become one of those animal moms who eats her young?

Toasted Coconut Almond Butter

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Spread
  • 2 cups almonds, soaked for at least 6 hours
  • 2 cups large coconut ribbons/flakes
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Drain your almonds and rinse them well. Place them on a baking sheet and let them bake for about 30 minutes (times may vary depending on how long you soaked the nuts), until they are dry and lightly toasted.
  3. Put the coconut ribbons on another baking sheet and toast the coconut for 5-7 minutes. Watch the coconut carefully, as it can go from perfect to burnt in an instant.
  4. Let the almonds and coconut cool.
  5. Add the almonds to a food processor and grind them into a meal, then add the toasted coconut. Let the mixture whirl until the nut butter is smooth and creamy, about 7-10 minutes.
  6. Store in a jar in the fridge for a firm coconut butter texture, or in the pantry for a drippy almond butter consistency.
  7. Makes about 2 cups.

, , , , ,

10 Responses to Toasted Coconut Almond Butter

1. Christa March 4, 2014 at 9:53 am #

My hubby and I are singing your praises my friend… I made this last night and it is uber drippy, gorgeous and DEE-licious!

• Sondi March 4, 2014 at 10:02 am #

The incredible thing is if you stick it in the fridge, it completely firms up, like in the photo in this post. Incredible!

2. Lorrine March 12, 2014 at 8:16 am #

I soaked the almonds overnight….then toasted them in the oven for about 35 mins….I then toasted the coconut. I added the almonds to my food processor and ground to meal like consistency and added the toasted coconut ribbons….it never firmed up or got creamy…I had to add oil!! Hmmmm……I guess I did not do something right??

• Sondi March 12, 2014 at 9:11 am #

How long did you blend the almonds and coconut for? Sometimes it can take at least 10 minutes for everything to break down into a creamy butter. Sometimes, if your nuts don’t have a lot of natural oils in them you might need to add a little extra oil, and this is totally cool. I hope the nut butter still tasted good in the end?

3. Ann Marie April 25, 2014 at 8:01 am #

If you are just going to toast the almonds anyway why do you need to soak them? I have made nut butters in the past and never soaked my nuts, so I am just curious what the difference is.

Also what do you soak them in?

• Sondi April 25, 2014 at 8:15 am #

Hi Ann Marie. Nuts, seeds, grains, beans and legumes contain phytic acid and enzyme inhibitors. Phytic acid binds to certain nutrients and prevents them from being absorbed, and enzyme inhibitors interfere with our digestive enzymes. Soaking them in water releases these compounds, making the nuts easier to digest and absorb. I usually soak my nuts, seeds, grains, beans and legumes for 6-8 hours, or overnight.

• Ann Marie April 25, 2014 at 9:19 am #

Thanks! I never knew that, do I soak in just water or could I use the soak to add flavor. For instance maybe coconut water for this?

• Sondi April 25, 2014 at 9:35 am #

You don’t want to use the soak water for anything – drain the nuts/seeds well in a colander, because all of the inhibitors have been released into the water. I don’t know if the nuts would infuse with flavour if you soaked them in coconut water – let me know if you try it! I would hesitate to do this, though, because then you’d have to toss the coconut water, and it’s pretty expensive.

4. Les George August 3, 2014 at 1:14 pm #

I had to add some coconut oil to get smooth. Still so much better and less expensive then the store !
    Thanks

1. March 2014 Articles and Recipes | Run, Leap, Dance, Peace: Fitness for Life and Joy - March 13, 2014

[…] Toasted Coconut Almond Butter […]