Ice Cream Friday: Dairy-Free Carob Sunflower

Vegan Carob Sunflower Seed Ice Cream

This dairy-free ice cream recipe is for the carob lovers, or the carob-curious.

‘Cause if you think carob is an inferior imitation of chocolate, you’ll be mightily disappointed (and I won’t be offended if you use cacao powder instead of carob).

And all you carob fans: Can I get a ‘whoop whoop’? Maybe an arm wave and a ‘hey, ho’?

Someone needs to create an emoticon for this, if there isn’t already.

One important thing I want to tell you about this carob sunflower seed ice cream is it’s a little icier than the coconut-based ones I’ve created so far, and is much more inclined to split while you scoop. But it all melts deliciously in your mouth anyway, so it’s no biggie.

The texture is due to the higher water to fat ratio here, and illustrates the point that creamier ice cream = more fat. And don’t be afraid of this – because healthy fats, like the kind found in coconut, are fantastic for you.

So spoon up.

Ice Cream Friday: Dairy-Free Carob Sunflower

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Ice Cream
Serves: 8-10 servings
  • 1 ½ cups sunflower seeds, soaked for 4-6 hours
  • 2 cups water
  • ¾ cup carob powder
  • ½ cup maple syrup
  • Pinch of salt
  1. Drain the soaked sunflower seeds in a fine mesh sieve and rinse them well.
  2. Put the sunflower seeds in a blender along with the water, carob powder, maple syrup and salt. Blend until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add a little more water (I didn’t need to, but you might depending on your blender speed).
  3. Chill the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes, then freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions.
  4. Makes 4 cups.

, , , ,

10 Responses to Ice Cream Friday: Dairy-Free Carob Sunflower

1. Melissa@EyesBigger July 10, 2015 at 8:53 am #

I would never have thought of sunflower seeds as a base for ice cream but what a great idea! I really need to get an ice cream maker – your creations all look so tasty!

2. Olivia @ livforcake July 10, 2015 at 9:06 am #

I seriously need to bust out my ice cream maker and try this. I am very intrigued by the sunflower seed base!

• Sondi July 10, 2015 at 10:02 am #

I looove sunflower seeds. The blended mixture is so thick and luxurious – like a milkshake! And it only gets better from there after it goes into the ice cream machine…

3. Sofia // From the Land we Live on July 10, 2015 at 9:23 am #

We’re on the same page with ice cream this week! Love that you used sunflower seeds…so creative! I’m not a carob lover, so I might try this base with chocolate :) Thanks for sharing!

• Sondi July 10, 2015 at 10:01 am #

Fair enough – carob isn’t for everyone. I have no doubt this would be amazing with chocolate, too.

4. Alisha July 10, 2015 at 9:30 am #

Never have i ever heard of, or thought of to use sunflower seeds! this is going on my list of must try recipes! Thank you !

• Sondi July 10, 2015 at 10:00 am #

The sunflower seeds give it a decent amount of creaminess, but are more allergen-friendly than cashews. Let me know what you think of it!

5. Jeff July 13, 2015 at 8:07 pm #

Ice cream look great, but I have a comment for a previous post and can’t locate the post (no way to search?). So here’s the question:
    How did your Low Dose Naltrexone experiment turn out? Are you still taking it? Was it successful?
    Thanks, Jeff

6. AllaboutCarob July 15, 2015 at 3:34 am #

It is delicious and complete vegan. Nice idea. For carob lovers: It could be more and more carob dessert if replace maple syrup with carob syrup.