Chocolate-Dipped Prunes (Dairy-Free)

Dairy-Free Chocolate Prunes

Prunes have a marketing problem. I’m sure more than half of my readers didn’t even click on this post when they spied the word ‘prunes’ in the title, even alongside the promise of chocolate.

I’ll bet most of you associate prunes with two things: your grandmother, and constipation.

A few years ago, plum growers lobbied for a rebrand of prunes to ‘dried plums’, a request that was then approved by the FDA. This seemed to boost prune sales, but come on. Do you really think ‘dried plums’ is any better than ‘prunes’? If you already connect prunes with your wrinkly grandparents, will a new label with ‘dried’ in its name help improve the association with aging – or dry poop, for that matter?

Personally, I don’t understand why people don’t adore prunes. They’re sticky and sweet and soft and gooey. I’m also the kind of weirdo who loves raisins – another dried fruit that many hate with a passion (maybe raisins will experience a renaissance if they are renamed ‘dried wine grapes’ or ‘unicorn droplets’ or ‘Robert Downey Jr.’).

While it’s true that prunes alleviate constipation (which is why the elderly love them, since seniors are more likely to become constipated), that’s not the only reason we might choose to grab a handful. The insoluble fibre found in prunes feeds the beneficial bacteria in the colon, producing helpful fatty acids that feed intestinal cells. Prunes are packed with antioxidants, they balance our blood sugar, and their Vitamin C content improves our absorption of iron.

Now, I must admit I do have an association between my maternal grandmother and prunes. She always had a jar of them in her cupboard, and would often serve them dipped in chocolate. She made chocolate clusters with other dried fruit and nuts, too, something my own mother replicated in our house – but never with prunes.

Most of Grandma’s recipes are lost. I never learned to cook from her. Grandma was – how shall I put this delicately – a decisive perfectionist. She always wanted things to be a certain way. Then again, as a child it never occurred to me to ask her to teach me. When I began to show interest in cooking as an adult, she was more than happy to share a few recipes with me  – I later learned to adapt her famous honey cake and kugel so they could be gluten-free and dairy-free.

However, it didn’t take much recipe development prowess for me to figure out how to make dairy-free chocolate-dipped prunes. Buy chocolate. Melt chocolate. Add prunes.

If you are a prune lover (and if you’ve read this far, then you probably are), then I’m sure you’ll enjoy them even more slathered in chocolate.

And if you’re not a prune fan, perhaps I can interest you in some chocolate-dipped dried plums?

Dairy-free Chocolate Prunes

5.0 from 1 reviews
Chocolate-Dipped Prunes (Dairy-Free)

gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, soy-free, egg-free, nut-free, five ingredients or less
Recipe type: Dessert
Serves: 20-24
  • ½ cup dairy-free dark chocolate chips
  • 20-24 prunes
  1. Gently melt your chocolate over low heat until glossy and smooth.
  2. Add your prunes to the chocolate and toss well, ensuring that all of the prunes are well coated.
  3. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Separate the prunes one by one and put them on the parchment.
  4. Place in the fridge for at least an hour until hardened. Store in the fridge in a container.

, , , , , ,

13 Responses to Chocolate-Dipped Prunes (Dairy-Free)

1. Honey December 7, 2015 at 6:13 am #

Haha, I enjoyed reading this post. I personally have always enjoyed prunes! Pruned, stewed prunes, prune juice, I love them! I have never even thought of trying them with chocolate, though. That has to change today! I never learned recipes from my grandmother either, sadly. I always loved cooking, and learned a lot from my mother, but I never thought about asking my grandmother, I just enjoyed her food. Especially her Christmas cookies.

• Sondi December 7, 2015 at 9:37 am #

Greetings from one prune lover to another! If you love prunes, you will absolutely love them paired with chocolate. One challenge with trying to glean recipes from our grandparents’ generation is they often cook intuitively – a pinch of this, a handful of that – so it’s trickier to get it all down.

2. Heidi @ Food Doodles December 11, 2015 at 12:09 pm #

Yummy! This is a delicious idea! We actually have plum trees in our yard so I dry my own plums, but they turn out very chewy . I might just buy some nice soft ones to dip in chocolate :). And I so wish I would have learned more from my gramma. She was a baker and I love baking, I can only imagine how many things I could have learned from her :)

• Sondi December 11, 2015 at 5:15 pm #

Your dried plums might turn out well even if they are chewy – chocolate makes everything taste better, right?

3. Holley December 11, 2015 at 2:34 pm #

I love plums, and make my own prunes, but feel like a granny because of it! Here is hoping granny culture comes back, then, prunes for all! Chocolate covered prunes!

• Sondi December 11, 2015 at 5:14 pm #

I’m not at the level of making my own prunes…yet! I have a food dehydrator, so it would probably be fairly simple, no?

4. Sarah | (Cooking for) Kiwi & Bean December 11, 2015 at 4:58 pm #

So I actually LOVE prunes! When we were growing up my grandma would buy us local Okanagan prunes from a farm near her. They were actually pretty sour, but in a super delicious sour candy kinda way. I now buy bags of prunes and eat them in one sitting :-). They are much sweeter than the ones I remember from my childhood, but still super delicious. I think it’s something about the texture that is so wonderful — not so mushy like dates; they’ve got a bit more chew to them.

I hadn’t thought of covering them in chocolate. Sounds like a real treat!

• Sondi December 11, 2015 at 5:13 pm #

I definitely hoover them out of the bag on their own, too. While I’ve had sour fresh plums, which I love, I’ve never had sour dried ones. I’ll bet growers wait until they are ripe and sweet before drying; or they are drying the sweeter plum varieties.

5. Alanna @ One Tough Cookie December 11, 2015 at 8:01 pm #

Hahah, look at all these fellow prune-lovers coming out of the woodwork! I think we should start a support group — and ideally, serve these amazing chocolate-dipped treats at every meeting! Thanks for sharing, Sondi!

• Sondi December 12, 2015 at 10:45 am #

If only I would have spoken out earlier, I would not have felt so along all this time. Yay for prunes!

6. Teresa December 11, 2015 at 10:05 pm #

It’s a hard reputation to shake, but one worth getting past, for sure. These would make a nice addition to a sweets platter.

7. Jeannie January 12, 2016 at 8:36 am #

This post made me smile (and crave prunes…). About a year ago, I chose a fancy Mediterranean chicken recipe to make for in-law company dinner. An ingredient in the briney marinade and subsequent pan sauce was copious amounts of chopped prunes. I served the dish family style, and my mother-in-law exclaimed gleefully as she served herself, “Oh! Are these prunes?!” Everyone else stared dolefully at their plate while I managed a, “Yes…the recipe called for dried plums…” Everyone loved the dish, but I really wish they would have discovered the dried fruit was prunes after tasting them and realizing they are delicious!

• Sondi January 12, 2016 at 5:07 pm #

Ha! It’s amazing how some ingredients can influence the perception of a meal. My mom once served cake and prefaced it with, ‘This is gluten-free and vegan and healthy’. So of course everyone wrinkled their noses and reluctantly ate it, saying it wasn’t as good as ‘real’ cake. Of course, if she had simply said, ‘This is chocolate cake’, no one would have noticed a difference.