Endless inspiration surrounds us.
I’m inspired by those who reach out to others with kindness.
I’m inspired by incredible acts of courage.
I’m inspired by the little guys who stand up to the big guys.
I’m inspired by the countless charitable and non-profit organizations that work to make our lives better, safer, healthier and happier every single day.
I’m inspired by the people who stay true to their beliefs and bravely push against the current.
I’m inspired by all of you, who read my words in this space. I know you don’t always comment, but I know you’re here. I know you make my recipes, whether or not you provide kind words or helpful criticism (I like both, by the way). That’s why I continue to create, after more than six years of blogging.
And sometimes, I’m inspired by my own recipes. Is that egotistic?
Nevertheless, that’s how this amazingly creamy dairy-free and vegan chowder came to be. This is a vegan adaptation of the cauliflower and cod chowder in my cookbook, Anti-Inflammatory in 21, which happened to be inspired by the creamy sauce in this recipe for stuffed shells.
In all of its iterations, this dairy-free and vegan sauce is lick-the-last-drop-off-the-spoon delicious. When you add warming root veggies like carrots, sweet potatoes and red-skinned potatoes, you end up with a bowlful of comfort you can’t wait to share with others.
As usual, feel free to swap in your favourite veggies here – parsnips, winter squash, celery root, mushrooms, peas, greens of all kinds. Anything goes, so create your own inspiration!
- Half a head of cauliflower, broken into florets (about 2½ cups)
- ½ cup cashews, soaked
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, roughly chopped
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp thyme
- water, to cover the veggies
- Chopped parsley and greens to serve, optional
- Steam the cauliflower until soft. Drain and rinse the cashews Add the cauli, cashews, water (I used the soaking water) and salt into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- To a large pot, add the carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, salt and thyme. Add enough water to just cover the veggies. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Fold in the cauliflower-cashew cream and stir. Add more water if needed. Taste, and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Add in the parsley and greens if using, and let them wilt.